Courgette Soup

I got home from the UK to find three monster courgettes in the fridge, donated to a hapless Mr FD by our neighbours. "I didn't know what to do with them," he said.

I used one up during the week, chopping it into whatever we were having - pasta, with tomato, mushroom and courgette sauce;  sausages with ratatouille (made with courgette); fish cakes with roast courgette...you get the idea!

Yesterday we were invited to lunch at the Hotel de la Poste with Gilles and the Carrefour representative. (Much excitement, as Shopi is going to turn into a Carrefour Contact shop - this might mean slightly redued prices, but also points on the Carrefour card. The shop will get a facelift, and Mr FD will get a smart Carrefour polo shirt.) It wasn't a heavy lunch - green salad, roast beef and crispy potatoes, cheese, and fruit salad (and a sneaky slice of tarte aux fraises) - but we certainly didn't want much to eat in the evening.

So I spent a hot-and-sweaty afternoon taking two recalcitrant Very Bad Kittens to the vets (hardly kittens now. George weighs in at a mighty 5 kg and the vet agrees he's not overweight. Just a Big Cat), and then clearing cat trays (we have 5 to deal with. Yeeuch), and cleaning the downstairs toilet where cats have missed the tray, or scratched litter into every possible nook-and-cranny. And then I made courgette soup. It was "very nice." (declared so by a rather surprised Mr FD when I asked him to check the seasoning.) (I don't like tasting the food I cook. Yes, I know. Bizarre)

So here, in case you have any monster courgettes lurking in the fridge, is:
Monster Courgette Soup à la Fat Dormouse

Sweat one chopped onion and 2 chopped cloves of garlic in a glug of olive oil until soft. Grate 1 monster courgette and add to pan. Throw in a couple of stripped rosemary sprigs, a whoosh of salt and a lot of grinds of black pepper. Add water. Not sure how much, just as much as you think, and 2 vegetable stock cubes. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add 2 dollops of creme fraiche and zuzz. Grind some more black pepper over. Serve


It might be nice with some grated parmesan too. I didn't think of that.

I'm now off to wander around the market and to pick up some fresh fruit and veggies. I'm thinking we might have stuffed peppers tonight, having seen some over at A British Mum's Kitchen - possibly not that exact recipe, but something along those lines.

I hope you have a good day, whatever you're doing.
What would be your favourite way of using up a monster courgette (I still have one left lurking...and it's the biggest of the three!)

Comments

Popular Posts