Rooting through the Freezer

Just a quick edit - for those who might be interested, I have another blog as well, over at The View from the Teapot.


This blog, Fat Dormouse Getting Thinner,  is more about my foodie adventures...but not completely...General woffle really!

 A Fat Dormouse

Last week I said I needed to do a "Freezer Audit" which I did on Monday afternoon, and I discovered that I had a lot more in there than I actually thought...so this week we are mostly eating from the freezer!

Source: favoritefreezerfoods.com
This morning I have been making a couple of condolence cards -  Alison, Gerome and the children are returning from the UK this weekend after the death of Alison's father. Although I sent a card to the family in the UK (to Alison, her mum,  & her brother), I wanted to give a card to the family here...The kids have lost their granddad, and Gerome his father-in-law, so they too will be grieving. I wanted to give a card to them too. Another friend also wanted to give a card, so I made one for her too.

This afternoon - or maybe tomorrow - I'll make a couple of meals to leave in their fridge so they don't have to think about cooking for a couple of days. I'm not sure if Alison is coming back with Gerome, but if she's not, it will be good for Gerome not to have to think about cooking for the kids (especially as he works) So I'm making a sausage-and-tomato sauce - pasta bake, and a cottage pie. I don't think the kids are very fussy about their food, so I hope they'll like the dishes. I'll also pop the makings of a raclette in the fridge too - an easy meal to have at the end of a difficult day.

Source: gulli.fr
(I'm only providing cheese, ham and potatoes. If they want anything else, tough!!)

I've not done quite so well with 5:2 recently. I manage okay through the day, but somehow it all goes a bit pear shaped in the evening. Still, I suppose I'm eating less calories than I usually would, & I'm reasonably careful through the rest of the week.
Our meals for this week are planned to be:
TODAY: Pulled pork from the freezer, tortillas from the freezer, salad.

SUNDAY: Turkey joint stuffed with mushrooms from freezer, (I bought it in Lidl for €5,99 & it looks good. It will certainly do two meals, and I'm hoping for sandwich filler from it too!) roast potatoes and roast vegetable ratatouille.

MONDAY: As yesterday but with pasta (from freezer), mushroom sauce and veggies.

TUESDAY: Hairy Dieter's Quick Cod Gratin - I've had this planned for 3 weeks but never quite got around to having it for various reasons! Maybe this week...everything we need is in the freezer.

WEDNESDAY: Beef casserole (from freezer) padded with rat from Sunday, jacket potatoes and peasncrots.
THURSDAY: Spinach and cheese soufflé omelette with potato wedges.

FRIDAY: Chilli bean and beef stoup.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled & chopped
2 cloves garlic
250g stewing steak
2 tsp chilli powder
0.5 tsp cumin
400g chopped tomatoes
1.25 L beef stock
350g butternut squash, cubed
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
400g red kidney beans

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C/GM4 . Heat oil in a flameproof casserole. Add onion & cook for 3 minutes, then add garlic & stewing steak. Fry for 5 minutes or so.
  2. Season, and add spices. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring well.
  3. Add the tomatoes, stock, squash & vinegar. Bring to boil, cover and transfer to oven. cook for 2 hours, until the meat is really tender.
  4. Stir in the drained beans and warm through on hob. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
It's not quite a stew, but not quite a soup. Hence, a stoup. This has, apparently 200 calories a serving (this quantity serves 4) 
This recipe is from the Woman magazine 500 Calorie Diet Complete Meal Planner booklet. There are lots of great 5:2 recipes in it, all under 300 calories. I am impressed by the book, which I have used quite a lot.

SOURCE: foodnetwork.com
Thank you as always for comments. They are what makes blogging a pleasure! Nobody commented on the song that I posted about on Remebrance Day, but I do hope you listened - I think it is such a beautiful song!
POMPOM: If you get the Hairy Dieters books I hope you enjoy the recipes. Ang at Tracing Rainbows is hosting A Pause in Advent this year, so you could join up with her this year if you wish. 
Have a good week, dear Readers, and enjoy your food - whatever you're having!
Anyone for lasagne?!
 

Comments

  1. Thank you for my lovely cookery book which arrived this week! I look forward to using it! Ha, the cats in places are funny! We used to have trouble shutting our dishwasher when I was a child as our British Blue cat Nero used to get in and sit at the back!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I would find many useful surprises if I did a freezer audit. We have a large chest freezer in the garage that is FULL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A freezer audit? Do I include the two inches of accumulated ice?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the two inches of accumulated ice inside your freezer or outside your house?!

      Delete
  4. You are so organised doing a freezer audit...I keep putting it off as I am extremely slack at putting labels on the containers...and you can't always tell what the contents are when they're frozen. But I suspect I would find food that I had forgotten about if I did check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mouse! I'd do that with Ang! I didn't know! I am going to order the first HD cookbook.
    Your kitty photos are always funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so thoughtful of you to make meals for your friends. I keep meaning to do a freezer audit...there's stuff lurking in the back! I might try your stoup in my slow cooker. Take care. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts